Kent Conservation District, in partnership with the Montcalm and Ionia Conservation Districts, and the Flat River Watershed Council, held multiple meetings in 2016 to discuss the health of the Flat River and ask for citizen input and review to create a management plan. More details here and below.
Attend the council’s meetings on the third Monday of the month at 6:30pm at the Lowell Main Street Inn. March meeting held in Montcalm (see website for details). Meetings are free and open to the public. Landowners, hunters, farmers, canoers, fishermen and all those who enjoy the Flat River are invited, along with local government officials and their neighbors. We will be discussing how citizens like you can help restore and protect the Flat River, the streams that flow into it, and land surrounding it. For more details, and to preview documents, please visit www.flatriverwatershed.org.
The purpose of the Flat River Watershed Counsil is to protect, enhance, and maintain land and water quality, and other natural resources in the Flat River Watershed. Spanning 564 square miles in Kent, Montcalm, Ionia, and Mecosta counties and incorporating three major communities (Belding, Greenville, and Lowell), it is home to a lively biotic community and viable small mouth bass fishery. Incorporating 150 miles of stream channel, the Flat River and its tributaries are incredibly scenic and beloved for their recreation possibilities.
Invite your neighbor and come to learn more and/or share your concerns! The Flat River Watershed Planning project has been funded through Michigan Department of Environmental Quality’s Nonpoint Source Program by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and administered through the Kent Conservation District.
Map of Watersheds of the Lower Grand River, Michigan (PDF)
Open pdf in new tab for larger view and/or download.VIEW MAP
Check out these links about watersheds in West Michigan:
- Lower Grand Watershed, Watershed Central Wiki (EPA) – wiki.epa.gov/watershed2/index.php/Lower_Grand_Watershed
- Lower Grand Watershed, Surf Your Watershed (EPA)
- Lower Grand River Organization of Watersheds (LGROW/GVMC)
- Annis Water Resources Institute (GVSU)
- Kent County Drain Commissioner
- Plaster Creek Stewards (Calvin College)
- Rogue River Watershed Partners – scrimshaw.net/rrwc/
- Sierra Club Water Sentinels – michigan.sierraclub.org/issues/greatlakes/watersentinels.html
- West Michigan Environmental Action Council