Native Plant Sales & Educational Resources
Each year, Kent Conservation District hosts four native plant sales to support your conservation efforts. Pre-order your plants online or shop in person at one of our browse n’ buy events.
- Spring Bareroot Seedling Sale (Trees and Shrubs) with pre-order online from February to March and Browse n’ Buy on pick up date Saturday, April 22nd: 10-3pm.
- Spring Native Plant Sale & Browse n’ Buy (Wildflowers, Grasses, Garden Kits, & Potted Shrubs) by May 5th with pre-order online from February to April and Browse n’ Buy on pick up date: May 27th 10-3pm.
- Fall Browse n’ Buy (Wildflowers, Grasses, & Potted Shrubs) in mid-September.
- Fall Bareroot Seedlings (Trees and Shrubs) in mid-October with pre-order online during September and Browse n’ Buy on pick up date.
Thank you for your support of these important conservation fundraisers.
Fall Bare Root Seedlings (Trees and Shrubs)
Order Pick-Up Date & Time: Saturday, April 22, 2022 10 am to 3 pm
Seedlings (6-24 inches tall) are available in bundles of 5, 10, 25, and more (up to 1,000) of each species. All seedlings are bare root, which means there is no soil surrounding the roots when you receive them and are ready to go in the ground as soon as you pick them up. Pre- order sales are now closed.
A limited amount of extra stock may be available for sale during pickup days. Extra stock is sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Bring boxes or wagon to carry your plants in and coverings to protect your car.
Pickup Location: 3260 Eagle Park Drive NE, Grand Rapids. KCD parking lot, corner of Leonard & Beltline (just north of Meijer Gardens). There is plenty of parking as it is a very large office complex.
Online Plant Databases (Species Information and Photos)
- Audubon Native Plant Database (best plants for birds)
- Illinois Wildflowers
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Native Plants Database
- Michigan Flora
- Minnesota Wildflowers
- Missouri Botanical Garden Plant Finder
- Native Plant Trust Go Botany
Planting Videos and Guides
- Planting a Bareroot Seedling Video
- Great Lakes Tree Planting Guide
- Wild Ones Native Garden Design Guide
- MSU’s Guide to Getting Started with Native Plants
- Michigan Native Plants for Bird-Friendly Landscapes Guide
- How to Improve Clay Soil for Better Gardening
Gardening for Pollinators
- Native Bees of Michigan: How to identify and support our native pollinators.
- Selecting Plants for Pollinators: A Regional Guide for Farmers, Land Managers, and Gardeners In the Eastern Broadleaf Forest
Additional Places to Purchase Native Plants in West Michigan